The EU4Health Civil Society Alliance supports the European Health Union Manifesto
2 Feb 21
The EU4Health Civil Society Alliance is now a supporter of the European Health Union Manifesto.
The Manifesto, which currently counts over 1000 individual signatures including from the health sector, academia and civil society, is an initiative initiated by several key public health experts and policy-makers, including former EU Commissioner for Health and Food Safety Vytenis Andriukaitis. The Manifesto was launched for the first time during the 2020 European Health Forum Gastein.
The Manifesto is centred around five key goals:
- Strive for the health and wellbeing of all Europeans, with no one left behind;
- Strengthen solidarity within and among Member States, based on the principle of progressive universalism, providing support, including universal health coverage, for all, but with particular attention to the needs of those who are disadvantaged;
- Ensure environmental sustainability, by adopting the European Green Deal and prioritising measures to promote One Health, the concept that links our health with that of the animals and plants with which we share this planet;
- Provide security for all Europeans, protecting them from the major threats to health and from the vulnerability that is created by living a precarious existence;
- Enable everyone’s voice to be heard, so that policies that affect their health are created with them and not for them.
In the coming months, the EU4Health CSA will liaise with the manifesto initiators to convey civil society views on the key principles of the initiative.