EU 2024 Elections: 10 priorities to secure health on the political agenda
8 Jun 23
The EU4Health Civil Society Alliance, gathering more than 30 health civil society organisations, has defined its priorities and recommendations ahead of the upcoming European elections in 2024, with the overarching goal of securing health on the EU political agenda. The manifesto gathers 10 key priorities, focusing on strengthening EU policymaking in public health, delivering stronger policies improving public health, and breaking policy silos:
- The EU should scale up action to promote public, physical and mental health, prevention, and equity by establishing a dedicated Vice-President in the European Commission and providing health with a space and legislative powers in the European Parliament.
- Health promotion and prevention should have a budget allocated at the EU level and be reflected in investments and economic discourse.
- Through the adoption of a Civil Society Strategy, the EU should develop mechanisms for stronger co-creation of policies, programmes and services, that allow for real empowerment of people and communities, including patient engagement.
- The EU should support and enable civil society space at the EU level and increase the participation of CSOs in policymaking across health and other sectors by ensuring dedicated funding mechanisms.
- The EU must urgently address the dire challenge of non-communicable diseases (NCDs) through a coherent framework for prevention and action.
- EU action should focus on addressing and eliminating health inequalities, eradicating discrimination, and promoting equal access to health and care.
- EU policies improving care for patients and strengthening healthcare systems should promote holistic, person-centred and integrative health care.
- The EU should establish a true European Health Union.
- The EU must develop overarching actions fostering health-enabling environments.
- The EU should ensure that all policies consider impacts on mental health, physical health, and wellbeing.